At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Comoros
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ahmed Abdallah SAMBI *
- Head of Government: President Ahmed Abdallah SAMBI
- Assembly: Comoros has a unicameral Assembly of the Union (Assemblée de l'Union) with 33 seats.
* The presidency of Comoros rotates every 4 years among the elected presidents of the 3 main islands.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Assembly of the Union (Assemblée de l'Union), 15 members are elected by regional legislatures to serve 5-year terms and 18 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The electoral system for directly elected seats is two-round (TRS). There are no nationally mandated electoral rules for the seats filled by local assemblies.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Ikililou DHOININE
- Mohamed Said FAZUL
- Abdou DJABIR
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 698,695 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 384,358 (November 2010 )
· Female Population: 346,484 (2010)
· Is Comoros a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Comoros ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (31 October 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1 (following 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 159 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Comoros a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Comoros ratified CRPD: Yes (16 June 2016)
· Population with a disability: 104,804 (est.)