At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ukraine
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Viktor A. YUSHCHENKO
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Yulia TYMOSHENKO
- Assembly: Ukraine has a unicameral Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) with 450 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) 450 members are allocated through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There is one, nationwide constituency and a 3% threshold. Before 2006, Ukraine used a mixed system: 225 seats closed-list, 225 seats in two-round single-seat constituencies.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Viktor YANUKOVYCH
- Party: Party of Regions
- Yulia TYMOSHENKO
- Party: Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc
Last Presidential election:
- YUSCHENKO won in the third round.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 45,870,700 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 36,826,251 (January 2010 Extrapolated from rates provided by Ukraine's EMB.)
· Female Population: 24,672,940 (2010)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ukraine ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 38 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 81 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ukraine a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2008)
· Has Ukraine ratified CRPD: Yes (4 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 6,880,605 (est.)