At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Slovakia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ivan GASPAROVIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Robert FICO
- Assembly: Slovakia has a unicameral National Council of the Slovak Republic (Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky) with 150 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Council of the Slovak Republic (Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky) 150 members are elected through a flexible-list proportional representation system.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Ivan GAŠPAROVIC
- Iveta RADIČOVÁ
Last Presidential election:
- The incumbent candidate Ivan GASPAROVIC won the last presidential election on April 3, 2004.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,386,406 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 4,339,257 (March 2009)
· Female Population: 2,775,099 (2009)
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Slovakia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (28 May 1993)
· Gender Quota: No (there are political parties that have voluntary gender quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 24 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 35 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Slovakia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 May 2010)
· Population with a disability: 807,960 (est.)