At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ghana
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President John Agyekum KUFUOR *
- Head of Government: President John Agyekum KUFUOR
- Assembly: Ghana has a unicameral Parliament with 230 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 4-year term renewable once. The electoral system is two-round.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament 230 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Nana Addo Dankwa AKUFO-ADDO
- Party: New Patriotic Party (NPP)
- John Evans ATTA MILLS
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 23,115,919 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 12,472,758 (December 2008 )
· Female Population: 11,650,629 (2008)
· Is Ghana a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ghana ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 January 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 18 (following the 2008 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 140 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Ghana a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Ghana ratified CRPD: Yes (31 July 2012)
· Population with a disability: 3,467,387 (est.)