At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Austria
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Thomas KLESTIL
- Head of Government: Chancellor Wolfgang SCHUESSEL
- Assembly: Austria has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung) consisting of the Federal Council (Bundesrat) with 62 seats and the National Council (Nationalrat) with 183 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct popular vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the Federal Council (Bundesrat) 62 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Council (Nationalrat) 183 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
* Members are elected by indirect vote by provincial assemblies in proportion to party representation.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Heinz FISCHER
- Party: Austrian Social Democratic Party
- Benita FERRERO-WALDNER
- Party: Austrian People's Party/Österreichische Völkspartei
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 8,171,966 (2004)
- Registered voters: 6,030,982 (2004)
· Female Population: 4,201,065 (2002)
· Is Austria a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Austria ratified CEDAW: Yes (31 March 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 62 (National Council) (as of 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 23 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Australia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Australia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 Septmember 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,225,794 (est.)