At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Romania
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Emil CONSTANTINESCU
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mugur ISARESCU
- Assembly: Romania has a bicameral Parliament (Parlament) consisting of the Senate (Senat) with 143 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Adunarea Deputatilor) with 343 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senat) 143 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms. In the Chamber of Deputies (Adunarea Deputatilor) 343 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Ion ILIESCU
- Party: Party of Social Democracy of Romania - Social Democratic Party / Partidul Democraţiei Sociale din Romania - Partidul Social-Democrat din Romania (PDSR - PSDR)
- Corneliu VADIM TUDOR
- Party: Great Romania Party / Partidul Romania Mare (PRM)
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on November 3, 1996 and November 17, 1996. President Emil CONSTANTINESCU received 54.41% of the runoff vote, thereby defeating Ion ILIESCU who received 45.59%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 22,442,971 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 17,699,727 (2000)
· Female Population: 11,463,767 (2000)
· Is Romania a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (4 September 1980)
· Has Romania ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 January 1982)
· Gender Quota: No (there are some political parties that have adopted voluntary quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 37 (House of Deputies); 11 (Senate) following the 2000 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 52 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Romania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Romania ratified CRPD: Yes (31 January 2011)
· Population with a disability: 3,366,445 (est.)