At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Slovakia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Michal NOVAC *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mikulas DZURINDA
- Assembly: Slovakia has a unicameral National Council of the Slovak Republic (Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky) with 150 seats.
* President NOVAC retired at the end of his term; the government has announced its intention to hold direct presidential election in early 1999; in the meantime the prime minister takes over the president's duties.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Council of the Slovak Republic (Narodna Rada Slovenskej Republiky) 150 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Rudolf Schuster
Party: Party of Civic Understanding (SOP)
- Vladimir Meciar
Party: Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (HZDS)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,396,020 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 4,038,899 (1999)
· Female Population: 2,773,763 (1999)
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Slovakia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (28 May 1993)
· Gender Quota: No (there are political parties that have voluntary gender quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 19 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 35 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Slovakia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Slovakia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 May 2010)
· Population with a disability: 809,403 (est.)