At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Panama
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ernesto PEREZ BALLADARES *
- Head of Government: President Ernesto PEREZ BALLADARES
- Assembly: Panama has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 72 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. The President may not serve for more than one consecutive term of office.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by simple majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional), 26 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 45 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mireya MOSCOSO*
- Alliance: Union for Panama
- Martin TORRIJOS**
- Alliance: New Nation Alliance
- Alberto VALLARINO***
- Alliance: Opposition Action
* The Union for Panama is endorsed by the Arnulfista Party, the Nationalist Republican Liberal Movement (MOLIRENA), the Nationalist Republican Movement (MORENA), and the Democratic Change Party.
** The New Nation Alliance is endorsed by the Democratic Revolutionary Party, the National Liberal Party, the Solidarity Party, and the Motherland Movement.
*** The Opposition Action is endorsed by the Christian Democratic Party (PDC), the Civic Renewal Party (PRC), the Popular Nationalist Party (PNP), and the Liberal Party.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election held was held on May 8, 1994. In this election, Ernesto PEREZ BALLADARES Gonzalez Revilla received 33.3% of the vote and thus defeated Mireya MOSCOSO, his closest competitor with 29.1% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,970,193 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 1,746,989 (1999)
· Female Population: 1,473,131 (1999)
· Is Panama a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (26 June 1980)
· Has Panama ratified CEDAW: Yes (29 October 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 7 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 60 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Panama a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Panama ratified CRPD: Yes (7 August 2007)
· Population with a disability: 445,528 (est.)