At stake in this election:
- 250 seats in the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Armando GUEBUZA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Luisa DIOGO
- Assembly: Mozambique has a unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República) with 250 seats.
* The electoral system is two-round.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República), 248 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are elected in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** 248 seats are apportioned among 11 multi-member constituencies corresponding to the provinces in proportion to their populations. Two single-seat constituencies represent Mozamibcans living abroad in Africa and "other countries," respectively. According to the electoral law (2007) these seats are "both based in Maputo."
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Front for the Liberalization of Mozambique (Frelimo)
- Leader: Joaquim Alberto CHISSANO
- Seats won in this election: 51
- Seats won in last election: 133
- Party: Mozambique National Resistance-Electoral Union (Renamo-UE)
- Leader: Afonso DHLAKAMA
- Seats won in this election: 191
- Seats won in last election: 117
- Party: Mozambique Democratic Movement****
- Leader: Davis SIMANGO
- Seats won in this election: 8
- Seats won in last election: 0
**** This is a new party in 2009.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 23,647,815 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 9,871,949 (2009)
· Female Population: 12,165,637 (2009)
· Is Mozambique a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Mozambique ratified CEDAW: Yes (21 April 1997)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 98 (following the 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 180 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Mozambique a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Mozambique ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2012)
· Population with a disability: 3,547,172 (est.)