At stake in this election:
- 18 seats in the Parliament
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Marcus STEPHEN
- Head of Government: President Marcus STEPHEN
- Assembly: Nauru has a unicameral Parliament with 18 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 3-year term.
- In the Parliament 18 members are elected by popular vote to serve 3-year terms.***
*** Candidates typically run as independents. Nauru does not have a formal party system, although parties exist and there is an active opposition. Parties include the Democratic Party, Nauru First Party (Naoero Amo), and Nauru Party.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Independent(s): Independents
Last Parliamentary election:
- On April 18, 2008, the President dissolved Parliament and announced snap elections.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,047 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 5,238 (April 2008)
· Is Nauru a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Nauru ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (23 June 2011)
· Gender Quota: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0
· Human Development Index Position: N/A
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Nauru a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Nauru ratified CRPD: Yes (27 June 2012)
· Population with a disability: 1,507 (est.)