At stake in this Referendum:
- Voters will choose a new system of electing members of parliament.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Traian BASESCU *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Calin Popescu-TARICEANU
- Assembly: Romania has a bicameral Parliament (Parlament) consisting of the Senate (Senat) with 137 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Adunarea Deputatilor) with 332 seats.
* Presidential elections take place under a two-round majority run-off system.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Voters will vote yes or no on the adoption of a new uninominal system for the election of members of Parliament. A uninominal majority-based system, with two rounds of polls in which the winner obtaining an absolute majority wins all the votes. The constituencies will have only one mandate.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 20,882,982 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 18,267,634 (November 2007)
· Female Population: 10,715,285 (2007)
· Is Romania a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (4 September 1980)
· Has Romania ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 January 1982)
· Gender Quota: No (there are some political parties that have adopted voluntary quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 38 (House of Deputies); 13 (Senate) following the 2004 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 52 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Romania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Romania ratified CRPD: Yes (31 January 2011)
· Population with a disability: 3,132,447 (est.)