At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum asks voters to approve of the country's new constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joseph KABILA *
- Head of Government: President Joseph KABILA **
- Assembly: Democratic Republic of the Congo has a unicameral Transitional Constituent Assembly with 500 seats.
* Joseph KABILA succeeded to the presidency following the assassination of his father, Laurent Desire KABILA, on 16 January 2001.
** The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of Draft Constitution * 'Do you approve of the draft Constitution that is submitted to you?'
'Approuvez-vous le projet de Constitution qui vous est soumis?'
* Main provisions include:
- A firm system of checks and balances between the president, the prime minister and the parliament;
- A deadline of June 2006 for presidential and parliamentary elections;
- A reduction of the age requirement for presidential candidates from 35 to 30 years;
- A limit of two five-year terms for a president elected by popular vote;
- Citizenship for members of all ethnic groups living in the country at the time of its independence in 1960; Free primary education for all children.
- An absolute majority is needed for the referendum to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 60,085,804 (July 2005 est.)
- Registered Voters: 25,021,703 (December 2005)
· Female Population: 28,213,036 (2005)
· Is Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 October 1986)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: N/A
· Human Development Index Position: 176 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (30 September 2015)
· Population with a disability: 9,012,870 (est.)