At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum is to approve the amendment to Article 76 of the Constitution allowing multi-candidate presidential elections.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mohamed Hosni MUBARAK
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ahmed NAZIF
- Assembly: Egypt has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the People's Assembly (Majlis al-Sha'b) with 454 seats and the Advisory Council (Majlis al-Shura) with 264 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by referendum.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President with the approval of the parliament.
- In the Advisory Council (Majilis Al-Shura), 176 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve 6-year terms and 88 members are appointed by the president to serve 6-year terms. In the People's Assembly (Majlis Al-Sha'b), 444 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve 5-year terms, 10 members are appointed by the president to serve 5-year terms and 64 members are reserved for women to serve 5-year terms.**
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- This referendum is to approve the amendment to Article 76 of the Constitution allowing multi-candidate presidential elections. Do you agree to amending Article 76 of the Constitution of the Arab Republic of Egypt?
- In order for the referendum to pass, popular majority was required.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 74,942,115 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 31,826,284 (2005)
· Female Population: 37,180,097 (2005)
· Is Egypt a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (16 July 1980)
· Has Egypt ratified CEDAW: Yes (18 September 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 108
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High
· Is Egypt a signatory to CRPD: Yes (4 April 2007)
· Has Egypt ratified CRPD: Yes (14 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 10,250,235 (est.)