At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Argentina
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Eduardo Alberto DUHALDE *
- Head of Government: President Eduardo Alberto DUHALDE
- Assembly: Argentina has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado de la Nación) with 72 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) with 257 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado de la Nación) 72 members are elected by direct vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) 257 members are elected by direct vote to serve 4-year terms.**
* One-third of the members are elected every two years.
** One-half of the members are elected every two years.
Main Candidates in the of the Presidential race:
- [[0.1.candidate_fname]] [[0.1.candidate_lname]][[0.1.candidate_comments_note]]
- [[0.2.candidate_fname]] [[0.2.candidate_lname]][[0.2.candidate_comments_note]]
- [[0.3.candidate_fname]] [[0.3.candidate_lname]][[0.3.candidate_comments_note]]
- [[0.4.candidate_fname]] [[0.4.candidate_lname]][[0.4.candidate_comments_note]]
- [[0.5.candidate_fname]] [[0.5.candidate_lname]][[0.5.candidate_comments_note]]
- [[0.6.candidate_fname]] [[0.6.candidate_lname]][[0.6.candidate_comments_note]]
Last Presidential election:
- Last elections were held on October 24, 1999 with former President Fernando DE LA RUA winning 48.5% of the national vote over Eduardo DUHALDE who had 38.09% of the votes. However, DE LA RUA resigned on December 2001 and the National Congress selected DUHALDE as the new president.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 37,812,817 (July 2002 est. )
- Registered Voters: 25,479,486 ( 2003 )
· Female Population: 19,139,695 (2001)
· Is Argentina a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Argentina ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 79 (Chamber of Deputies); 24 (Senate)
· Human Development Index Position: 40
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
· Is Argentina a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Argentina ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 5,543,277 (est.)