At stake in this election:
- 120 seats in the Assembly (Kuvendi/Skupstina)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jakup KRASNIQI *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Hashim THACI
- Assembly: Kosovo has a unicameral Assembly (Kuvendi/Skupstina) with 120 seats.
* KRASNIQI is acting president.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the Assembly (Kuvendi/Skupstina), 100 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 3-year terms and 20 members are reserved to represent Kosovo's national minorities to serve 3-year terms.***
*** In the proportional tier, there is a 30 percent female quota under which every third candidate must be female. Electors may vote for up to five individual candidates within the list they choose. For the 20 reserved seats, 10 seats are reserved for Serbs, 4 seats for the Roma, Ashkali and Egyptians, 3 seats for the Bosniaks, Montenegrins, Croats, Hungarians, Toskan, 2 seats for the Turks, and seat for the Gorans.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Kosovo / Partia Demokratike e Kosovës (PDK)
- Leader: Hashim THACI
- Party: Democratic League of Kosovo / Lidhja Demokratike e Kosovës (LDK)
- Leader: Isa MUSTAFA
- Party: New Kosovo Alliance / Aleanca Kosova e Re (AKR)
- Leader: Behgjet PACOLLI
- Alliance: Alliance for the Future of Kosovo / Aleanca për Ardhmërinë e Kosovës (AAK)
- Leader: Ramush HARADINAJ
- Party: Self-Determination / Vetevendosje!
- Leader: Albin KURTI
****** Consisting of New Kosovo Alliance, Justice Party, Social Democratic Party, Pensionists and Disabled Party, Pensionists Party of Kosovo, Albanian National Democratic Party, and Green Party of Kosovo.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,775,680 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 1,630,636 (2010)
· Female Population: 861,845 (2010)
· Is Kosovo a signatory to CEDAW:
· Has Kosovo ratified CEDAW:
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians:
· Human Development Index Position: N/A
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Kosovo a signatory to CRPD:
· Has Kosovo ratified CRPD:
· Population with a disability: 266,352 (est.)