At stake in this election:
- 34 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President James MICHEL *
- Head of Government: President James MICHEL
- Assembly: Seychelles has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 34 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale), 25 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 9 members are elected by proportional representation to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The proportional representation seats require a 10% threshold in order for parties to enter parliament.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Seychelles People's Progressive Front (SPPF)
- Leader: France Albert RENE
- Seats won in this election: 18
- Seats won in last election: 23
- Party: Seychelles National Party - Democratic Party (SNP - DP)
- Leader: Wavel RAMKALAWAN
- Seats won in this election: 7
- Seats won in last election: 11
Last Legislative election:
- Legislative elections were last held on 4-6 December 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 85,033 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 64,993 (March 2007)
· Female Population: 42,171 (2007)
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Seychelles ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 May 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 64 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Seychelles ratified CRPD: Yes (2 October 2009)
· Population with a disability: 12,754 (est.)