At stake in this Referendum:
- The secession of Nevis from the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Dr. Denzil DOUGLAS
- Assembly: Saint Kitts and Nevis has a unicameral National Assembly with 14 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Cuthbert Montraville SEBASTIAN.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on the secession of Nevis from the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis St. Kitts and Nevis has been an independent nation since 1983. The 1983 constitution of St. Kitts and Nevis grants Nevis the right to secede from the Federation.
- A two-thirds majority was required for the referendum to be approved. The vote fell short of the needed majority.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 42,291 (July 1998 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,785 ( 1998 )