At stake in this Referendum:
- Referendum to approve the new draft constitution prepared by the National Constituent Assembly. This involves changes in the legislative structure, presidential term, and state ownership of the oil industry.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias *
- Head of Government: President Hugo CHAVEZ Frias
- Assembly: Venezuela has a bicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 52 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 207 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of new draft constitution The new constitution provides for:
- Strengthening of civil and human rights, and new mechanisms for judge selection.
- Extention of Presidential term from five to six-years with possible consecutive re-election once, new impeachment mechanism, and limits on emergency powers.
- Elimination of the Senate to create a unicameral parliament. Referendum recall and fourth branch of government to strengthen popular participation.
- Continued strong role for government in directing the economy, including ban of privatization of oil reserves.
- A majority of overall voters are required for the referendum to be enacted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 23,410,158 (November 1998 est,)
- Registered Voters: 10,860,265 ( 1999 est.)
· Female Population: 11,956,241 (1999)
· Is Venezuela a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Venezuela ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 May 1983)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 27 (Chamber of Deputies); 5 (Senate) following the 1998 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 71 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Venezuela a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Venezuela ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (24 September 2013)
· Population with a disability: 3,511,523 (est.)