At stake in this election:
- 17 seats in the House of Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Stephenson KING
- Assembly: Saint Lucia has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 11 seats and the House of Representatives with 17 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor General Dame Pearlette LOUISY.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is the hereditary head of state.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the Senate 11 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms*. In the House of Representatives 17 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
* In the Senate, 11 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms (6 on the advice of the prime minister, 3 on the advice of the leader of the opposition, and 2 after consultation with religious, economic, and social groups).
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Saint Lucia Labor Party (SLP)
- Leader: Kenneth ANTHONY
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 11
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 6
- Party: United Workers Party (UWP)
- Leader: Stephenson KING
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 6
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 11
- Independent(s): Independents
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 0
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 179,278 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 151,466 (November 2011)
· Female Population: 91,215 (2011)
· Is Saint Lucia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Saint Lucia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (8 October 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 3 (House of Assembly) following the 2011 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 89 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Saint Lucia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (22 September 2011)
· Has Saint Lucia ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 26,891 (est.)