At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to approve a 204-article draft constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Paul KAGAME*
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bernard MAKUZA
- Assembly: Rwanda has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 53 seats.**
* Under the new constitution, the president is elected by direct universal suffrage with a simple majority of the vote cast to serve a term renewable one time only.
** Under the new constitution, members of the Chamber of Deputies will be elected by direct universal suffrage using a system of proportional representation on September 29. They will serve a five-year term. The members of the Senate will be elected through indirect elections and will serve up to 8 years.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- The referendum asked voters to approve a 204-article draft constitution to replace the current 1995 Fundamental Law.
- One provision states that the president and prime minister cannot belong to the same political party.
- Another provision calls for the creation of a bicameral parliament which consists of an 80-seat Chamber of Deputies and a 26-seat Senate. Chamber members can serve a term of 5 years, while Senate members can serve up to 8 years.
- The draft constitution stipulates that a president would be elected via universal suffrage to serve seven-year terms.
- Another provision would forbid political parties from utilizing ethnic, racial, tribal or other criteria that could promote discrimination.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 8,686,469 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 3,863,965 (2003)
· Female Population: 4,534,532 (2003)
· Is Rwanda a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (1 May 1980)
· Has Rwanda ratified CEDAW: Yes(2 March 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: N/A
· Human Development Index Position: 163 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Rwanda a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Rwanda ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (15 December 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,302,970 (est.)