The Presidency of the Czech Republic*
*Note: This is the second round of the Presidential elections. The first round was held on January 13 and 14 2023. More information about the first round of elections can be found here.
- Chief of State: President Milos ZEMAN (since 8 March 2013)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Petr FIALA (since 17 December 2021)
- Assembly: Bicameral Parliament consists of the 81-seat Senate (Senat) and the 200-seat Chamber of Deputies (Poslanecka Snemovna).
- The President is directly elected by an absolute majority popular vote in 2 rounds if needed for a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President for a 4-year term.
- Members of the Senate are directly elected in single-seat constituencies by absolute majority vote in 2 rounds if needed for 6-year terms. Members of the Chamber of Deputies are directly elected in 14 multi-seat constituencies by proportional representation vote with a 5% threshold required to fill the seat. Members of the Chamber of Deputies serve 4-year terms.
The last election was held between 13 and 14 January 2023. Voter turnout was approximately 68.24%. Petr Pavel won 35.40% of the vote (1,975,056 total votes) and Andrej Babiš won 34.99% of the vote (1,952,213 votes total).
- Candidate filing deadline: N/A
- Voter registration deadline: N/A, voter registration is passive.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- Andrej Babiš
- Party: Action of Dissatisfied Citizens (ANO 2011)
- Petr Pavel
- Party: Independent
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 10,705,384 (2022 estimate)
- Registered Voters: 8,275,752 (2021 estimate)
- Female Population: 5,433,211 (2022 estimate)
- CEDAW Status: Succeeded 22 February 1993
- Gender Quota: No legislated or voluntary party quotas.
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators (pre-election): 52 out of 200 in the Chamber of Deputies and 15 out of 81 in the Senate
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 0.889 (Very High) (2021 estimate)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: 20% (very low) (2019 estimate)
CRPD Status: Signed 30 March 2007 and ratified 28 September 2009