At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Iran
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Supreme Leader Ali Hoseini-KHAMENEI (since 4 June 1989)
- Head of Government: President Hassan Fereidun ROUHANI (since 3 August 2013)
- Assembly: Iran has a unicameral Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e Shoraye Eslami) with 290 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Supreme Leader is appointed for life by the Assembly of Experts.
- Candidates for all elected office must submit register with the Ministry of Interior and be vetted and approved by the Guardian Council. Once approved they may campaign until 24 hours prior to election day, typically one week.
- The president is elected by popular vote to a four-year term.