At Stake in this Election:
- The 239 seats in the National Assembly (Bunge).
- Chief of State: President John MAGUFULI (since 5 November 2015)
- Head of Government: President John MAGUFULI (since 5 November 2015)
- Assembly: Tanzania has a unicameral National Assembly (Bunge) with 357 seats.
- Since the introduction of multiparty elections in 1995, the uses a first-past-the-post system to determine the composition of the National Legislature, with a separate winner takes all ballot directly electing the President.
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Bunge), 239 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 102 members are reserved for women to serve 5-year terms, 5 members are allocated to members of the Zanzibar House of Representatives to serve 5-year terms and 10 members are appointed by the President to serve 5-year terms.
Main Parties in this Election:
- Party: Party of the Revolution / Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM)
- Leader: John MAGUFULI
- Seats Won in Last Election: 253
- Party: Chama cha Democracia na Maendeleo (CHADEMA)
- Leader: Tundu LISSU
- Seats Won in Last Election: 70
- Party: Alliance for Change and Transparency-Wazalendo (ACT-Wazalendo)
- Leader: Bernard MEMBE
- Seats Won in Last Election: 1
- Party: Civic United Front / Chama Cha Wananchi (CUF)
- Leader: Ibrahim Haruna LIPUMBA
- Seats Won in Last Election: 42
*This list is static, as the National Election Commission is continuing to decide on appeals of parliamentary candidates.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 29,326,051 (July 2020 est.)
- Is Tanzania a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Tanzania ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 August 1985)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Legislators: 125 (as of 2015)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 159
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High
- Is Tanzania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 Mar 2007)
- Has Tanzania ratified CRPD: Yes (10 November 2009)
- Population with a disability: 7,656,882