At stake in this election:
- 50 seats in the Majlis al-Umma (National Asssembly)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Amir Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Jabir al-Sabah (since 29 September 2020)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sabah Al-Khalid Al-Sabah (since 19 November 2019)
- Assembly: Kuwait has a unicameral Majlis al-Umma (National Assembly) composed of 65 seats with members serving 4-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- For the National Assembly, 50 members are directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by simple majority vote and 15 ex-officio members are appointed by the prime minister.
Main parties in the election:
There are no official political parties in Kuwait and all candidates for office stand as independents. There are, however, various interest groups that function similar to political parties, such as Islamists, secular liberals, and tribal factions.