At stake in this election:
- 20 seats in the Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952); represented by Governor General of New Zealand Dame Patsy REDDY (since 28 September 2016)
- Head of Government: Premier Toke TALAGI (since 18 June 2008)
- Assembly: Niue has a unicameral Niue Assembly (Niue Fono Ekepule) with 20 seats, 14 of which are elected by village constituencies and 6 nationally. The Assembly elects the Premier.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary head of state.
- Premier is elected by the Assembly to serve a 3-year term.
- In the Niue Assembly (Niue Fono Ekepule), 6 members are elected by block vote on a common role to serve 3-year terms and 14 members are elected by majority vote in single-member constituencies, representing the 14 villages of Niue, to serve 3-year terms.
Main candidates in the election:
*There are no political parties in Niue.