At Stake in this Referendum:
- An amendment to the Swiss constitution.
- Chief of State: President Alain BERSET*
- Head of Government: President Alain BERSET
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (BBundesversammlung/Assemblée Fédérale/Assemblea Federale) consisting of the Council of States (Ständerat/Conseil des Etats/ Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats and the National Council (Nationalrat/Conseil National/Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats
*The Federal Presidency rotates among the 7 members of the Federal Council, which is the formal chief of state.
- A majority of the popular vote and the cantons is required for Popular Initiatives to pass.
About this Referendum:
- This initiative would place a freeze on all building zone extensions, preventing construction on land outside current building zones.
More information on these initiatives is available here and here.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 8,608,259 (2019 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,391,090 (2018)
- Female Population: 4,339,609 (2019 est.)
- Is Switzerland a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (since 23 January 1987)
- Has Switzerland ratified CEDAW: Yes (since 27 March 1997)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 74 (29%)
- Human Development Index Position: 2 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2019)
- Is Switzerland a signatory to CRPD: Yes
- Has Switzerland ratified CRPD: Yes
- Population with a disability: 1,792,000