At Stake in this Election:
- The office of President of Uruguay.
- Chief of State: President Tabaré VÁZQUEZ (since March 1, 2015)
- Head of Government: President Tabaré VÁZQUEZ (since March 1, 2015)*
- Assembly: Uruguay has a bicameral General Assembly (Asamblea General) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Cámara de Senadores) with 30 seats and the Chamber of Representatives (Cámara de Representantes) with 99 seats.
*The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term. The President may not serve consecutive terms. A run-off is held if no Presidential candidate receives 50% of the vote in the first round.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Cámara de Senadores), 30 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 1 member (the Vice President) is ex officio.*
- In the Chamber of Representatives (Cámara de Representantes) 99 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* There is one nationwide district. One party may field multiple lists. Under the double simultaneous vote (DSV), the voter must vote for one of the lists fielded by the same party she has chosen in a Presidential contest. The Vice President is ex officio presiding officer of the Senate.
** There are 19 multi-member constituencies corresponding to the country's departments. The minimum magnitude is two. One party may field multiple lists. Under the double simultaneous vote (DSV), the voter must vote for one of the lists fielded by the same party she has chosen in a Presidential contest.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- Candidate: Luis Alberto Lacalle POU
- Party: National Party/Partido Nacional (PN)
- Candidate: Daniel MARTÍNEZ
- Party: Broad Front/Frente Amplio (FA)
- Candidate: Ernesto TALVI
- Party: Colorado Party/Partido Colorado (The Red Party)
- Candidate: Guido Manini RÍOS
- Party: Open Cabildo/Cabildo Abierto
- Candidate: Gonzalo ABELLA
- Party: Popular Unity/Unidad Popular (UP)
- Candidate: Edgardo NOVICK
- Party: Party of the Folk/Partido de la Gente
- Candidate: Pablo MIERES
- Party: Independent Party/Partido Independiente
- Candidate: Gustavo SALLE
- Party: Green Animalist Party/Partido Verde Animalista (PVA)
- Candidate: César VEGA
- Party: Ecologist Radical Intransigent Party/Partido Ecologista Radical Intransigente (PERI)
- Candidate: Daniel GOLDMAN
- Party: Digital Party/Partido Digital
- Candidate: Rafael FERNÁNDEZ
- Party: Worker’s Party/Partido de los Trabajadores (PT)
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 1,790,000
- Is Uruguay a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 Mar 1981)
- Has Uruguay ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 Oct 1981)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election:
- Number of Female Legislators: 22 (22.2%)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 55
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low
- Is Uruguay a signatory to CRPD: Yes (3 April 2007)
- Has Uruguay ratified CRPD: Yes (11 February 2009)
- Population with a disability: 501,284 (2019 est.)