At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Madagascar.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hery RAJAONARIMAMPIANINA*
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Christian NTSAY
- Assembly: Madagascar has a bicameral Parliament currently consisting of the Council of the Transition (90 members) and the Congress of the Transition (256 members).
* As required by law, President RAJAONARIMAMPIANINA has stepped down to run for re-election. Vice President Riko RAKOTOVAO will serve as temporary president during the electoral period.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:*
- Andry RAJOELINA
- Young Malagasies Determined / Tanora malaGasy Vonona (TGV)
- Marc RAVALOMANANA
- Tiako I Madagasikara (TIM)
* There were 36 total candidates in the first round.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 26,262,810 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 7,971,790 (2013)
- Female Population: 13,163,932 (2018 est.)
- Is Madagascar a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Madagascar ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 March 1989)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 32 (following the 2010 elections)
- Human Development Index Position: 161 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
- Is Madagascar a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2007)
- Has Madagascar ratified CRPD: Yes (12 June 2015)
- Population with a disability: 3,571,902 (2018 est.)