Federated States of Micronesia: Congress, 7 March 2017
At stake in this election:
- 10 seats in the Congress.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Peter M. CHRISTIAN (11 May 2015)
- Head of Government: President Peter M. CHRISTIAN (11 May 2015)
- Assembly: Micronesia has a unicameral congress with 14 seats
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Congress, 4 members (‘Senators’) are elected by proportional representation to serve 4-year terms, and 10 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 2-year terms. The four senator seats are elected “at-large” from four states (Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei, and Kosrae).
- In the 2015 election, all incumbents were reelected. There were no female candidates. As there are no political parties in Micronesia, all candidates ran as independents.
Main candidates in the election:
- Seats won in last election: 14
* Micronesia does not have political parties, thus all candidates run as independents.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 104,719 (July 2016)
- Registered Voters: 92,000 (2013)
- Female Population: 52,960 (2016)
- Is Micronesia a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Micronesia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 September 2004)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: unknown
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0
- Human Development Index Position: 123 (2014)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Micronesia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2011)
- Has Micronesia ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 15,669