Note: In the results above, the seats won are the total number won in the election. The vote counts and percentages reflect the national list votes.
Burkina Faso: Legislative Election, 2 December 2012
At stake in this election:
- 111 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Blaise COMPAORE (1987-2014)
- Head of Government: Paramanga Ernest YONGLI (2000-2007)
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a unicameral National Assembly composed of 111 seats with members serving 5-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- Members of the National Assembly are directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by proportional representation vote.
- Elections for the National Assembly were last held on 6 May 2007.
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 16,590,813 (2012)
· Registered Voters: 4,365,153 (2012)
· Female Population: 8,370,557 (2012)
· Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Burkina Faso ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (14 October 1987)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 20 (following 2012 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 183 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 May 2007)
· Has Burkina Faso ratified CRPD: Yes (23 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 2,488,621