At stake in this election:
- 100 seats in the House of People's Representatives (Camara de Representantes del Pueblo)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Teodoro OBIANG NGUEMA MBASOGO *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vicente EHATE TOMI
- Assembly: Equatorial Guinea has a unicameral National Assembly composed of 100 seats.
* OBIANG NGUEMA MBASOGO became president after seizing power in a military coup.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 7-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the House of People's Representatives (Camara de Representantes del Pueblo) 100 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
* The May 26, 2013 election establishes the Senate. Previously, Equatorial Guinea had a unicameral system.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Equatorial Guinea (PDGE) / Partido Democrático de Guinea Ecuatorial*
- Leader: Teodoro OBIANG NGUEMA MBASOGO
- Seats won in last House of People's Representatives election: 99
- Seats won in this House of People's Representatives election: 99
- Party: Convergence for Social Democracy (CPDS) / Convergencia Para la Democracia Social
- Leader: Placido MICO Abogo
- Seats won in last House of People's Representatives election: 1
- Seats won in this House of People's Representatives election: 1
* All other major parties in Equatorial Guinea are aligned with PDGE. In the last parliamentary election PDGE itself won 89 seats and allied parties won 10.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 606,201 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 210,514 (2004)
· Female Population: 295,126 (2004)
· Is Equatorial Guinea a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Equatorial Guinea ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (23 October 1984)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 14 (following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 138 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Equatorial Guinea a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Equatorial Guinea ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 90,930 (est.)