Benin: President, 13 March 2016
At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Benin
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Thomas Boni YAYI (since 6 April 2006)
- Head of Government: President Thomas Boni YAYI (since 6 April 2006)
- Assembly: Benin has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 83 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is directly elected by absolute majority popular vote in two rounds, if needed, for a 5-year term, with eligibility for a second term.
- The first round of the presidential election was held on 6 March 2016. Lionel ZINSOU took the most votes with 28.44%, followed by Patrice TALON, who finished with 24.80%. The runoff will be contested by these two candidates.
Main candidates in the election:
- Lionel ZINSOU
- Party: Cowry Forces for an Emerging Benin (FCBE)/Forces Couris pour un Benin Emergent 
- Patrice TALON
- Party: N/A
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 10,448,647
· Registered Voters: 4,702,168
· Female Population: 5,201,348
· Is Benin a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (11 November 1981)
· Has Benin ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 7/83 (8%)
· Human Development Index Position: 166 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Benin a signatory to CRPD: Yes (8 February 2008)
· Has Benin ratified CRPD: Yes (5 July 2012)
· Population with a disability: Approximately 840,000
 The main opposition PRD party has pledged its support to ZINSOU in the upcoming election.