At stake in this referendum:
- Voters will vote on the proposed Thirty-fourth Amendment of the Constitution (Marriage Equality Bill).
Description of government structure:
- Chief of state: President Michael D. HIGGINS
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Enda KENNY
- Assembly: Ireland has a bicameral Parliament (Oireachtas) consisting of the Senate (Seanad Éireann) with 60 seats and the House of Representatives (Dáil Éireann) with 166 seats.
** The Prime Minister is nominated by the House of Representatives (Dáil Éireann).
Provisions in the referendum:
- Thirty-fourth amendment: “Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex.”
Results of the referendum:
- Yes: 1,201,607 votes (62.07%)
- No: 734,300 votes (37.93%)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 2,418,761 (2014 est.)
- Is Ireland a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Ireland ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 December 1985)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Legislators: 25 (15%) of 166 seats in the Dáil Éireann
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 11
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Ireland a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Ireland ratified CRPD: No