*A run-off election between Daniel Scioli and Mauricio Macri will be held on 22 November 2015.
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Argentina
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER *
- Head of Government: President Cristina FERNANDEZ DE KIRCHNER
- Assembly: Argentina has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso de la nación) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 72 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) with 257 seats.
*The electoral system is two-round. To avoid a runoff, the winner must win 45 percent of valid votes. Alternatively, they must win 40 percent of valid votes and at least 10 points more than the next-placed candidate.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by qualified majority to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 72 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados) 257 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.**
*One-third of the Senate is renewable every two years. Senators are elected from 24 multi-member districts, with 3 Senators. 2 Senate seats per district are granted to the party receiving the highest number of votes, while the other seat is given to the first minority party.
**One-half of the Chamber of Deputies is renewable every two years. Party lists are closed. There are 24 multi-member districts. The threshold is 3 percent.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Candidate: Daniel SCIOLI
- Party: Front for Victory (FPV) / Frente para la Victoria
- Candidate: Mauricio MACRI
- Party: Let’s Change / Cambiemos
- Candidate: Sergio MASSA
- Party: United for a New Alternative (UNA) / Unidos por una Nueva Alternativa
- Candidate: Margarita STOLBIZER
- Party: Progressives / Progresistas
- Candidate: Nicolás del CAÑO
- Party: Worker’s Left Front (FIT) / Frente de Izquierda y de los Trabajadores
- Candidate: Adolfo Rodríguez SAÁ
- Party: Federal Commitment / Compromiso Federal
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 43,024,374 (2014 est.)
- Registered voters: 30,635,464 (2013)
- Female Population: 21,813,896 (2014 est.)
- Is Argentina a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Argentina ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1985)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 94 (37%) of 257 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Cámara de Diputados)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 49
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
- Is Argentina a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Argentina ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2008)
- Population with a disability: 6,453,656