Turkmenistan: National Assembly, 25 March 2018
At stake in this election:
- 125 seats in the National Assembly.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Head of Government: President Gurbanguly BERDYMUKHAMMEDOV
- Assembly: Turkmenistan has a unicameral National Assembly (Mejlis) with 125 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- In the National Assembly (Mejlis) 125 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Last National Assembly election:
- The last National Assembly election was held on 15 December 2013.
Main Parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Turkmenistan (DPT) / Türkmenistanyň Demokratik partiýasy
- Leader: Ata SERDAROV
- Seats won in last election: 47
- Seats won in this election: 56
- Party: Party of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs / Senagatçylar we Telekeçiler partiýasy
- Leader: Saparmyrat OVGANOV
- Seats won in last election: 14
- Seats won in this election: 21
- Party: Agrarian Party / Agrar partiýadan Türkmenistanda and Groups of Citizens*
- Leader: Byashim ANNAGURBANOV**
- Seats won in last election: 7***
- Seats won in this election: 48*
*No publicly available results differentiated between the Agrarian Party and Groups of Citizens.
** Leader of the Agrarian Party
*** Groups of citizens nominated 7 candidates who were elected to assembly in 2014. The Agrarian Party is new this election.
Population and voter registration:
- Population: 5,113,040 (July 2013 est.)
- Voter Registration: 2,987,324 (2012)