Monaco: National Council, 11 February 2018
At stake in this election:
- The 24 seats in the National Council (Conseil National)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Prince ALBERT II
- Head of Government: Minister of State Serge TELLE
- Assembly: Monaco has a unicameral National Council (Conseil National) with 24 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Prince is hereditary head of state.
- Minister of State is appointed by the monarch.
- In the National Council (Conseil National), 16 members are elected by majority vote in multi-member constituencies and 8 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system.***
*** - Each ballot paper includes the names of candidates of the same party/coalition list, which shall not exceed the total number of seats to be filled (i.e. 24). Each voter may either approve one of the lists as a whole, or replace some of candidates across different party/coalition lists ("panachage") by indicating the full name of the candidates of their choice. The ballot paper after the "panachage" should contain no more names than the number of seats to be filled. - First to be elected are the sixteen candidates who have obtained the most votes. In case of a tie, the eldest candidate is declared elected. The eight remaining seats are filled from the electoral lists that have polled at least five per cent of the valid votes cast, as per the proportional representation system.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- List: Union Monégasque (UM)*
- Leader: Jean-François ROBILLON
- Seats won in last election: 3
- List: Horizon Monaco**
- Leader: Béatrice FRESKO-ROLFO
- Seats won in last election: 20
- Party: Primo! Priorité Monaco
- Leader: Stéphane VALERI
- Seats won in last election: N/A
* The candidate list for Union Monégasque comprises members of the Union de Monégasques and the Union Nationale pour l’Avenir de Monanco. Currently these parties hold 14 seats in the Parliament.
** The Horizon Monaco candidate list comprises members of the Rassemblement et Enjeux party; the Union pour la Principauté, and Synergie Monegasque. Currently these parties have 5 seats in the Parliament.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 30,581 (2016 est.)
- Registered Voters: 7,245 (February 2018)
· Female Population: 15,714 (2016 est.)
· Is Monaco a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Monaco ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 March 2005)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (following the 2013 election)
· Human Development Index Position: N/A
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Monaco a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2009)
· Has Monaco ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 5,455