Seats won in this election:*
- Grand Alliance: 288
- National Unity Front / Jatiya Oikya Front (NUF): 7
- Independents: 3
* Seat totals do not include the 50 seats reserved for women.
At stake in this election:
- 350 seats in the Parliament (Jatiyo Sangshad)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdul HAMID
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sheikh HASINA Wajed
- Assembly: Bangladesh has a unicameral Parliament (House of the Nation / Jatiya Sangsad) with 350 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- In the Parliament (Jatiya Sangsad) 300 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms. The remaining 50 seats are reserved for female candidates, who are technically supposed to be elected by the new representatives on the basis of proportional representation through single transferable vote. In practice, however, the reserved seat members are selected by party leaders and allocated in proportion to the number of single-member constituency seats won by each party.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Alliance: Grand Alliance*
- Leader: Sheikh HASINA Wajed
- Alliance: National Unity Front / Jatiya Oikya Front (NUF)**
- Leader: Kamal HOSSAIN
- Alliance: Left Democratic Alliance***
- Leader: Muhammad Shah ALAM (Coordinator)
- Alliance: Jukto Front****
- Leader: A.Q.M. Badruddoza CHOWDHURY
- Alliance: Islamic Democratic Alliance (IDA)*****
- Leader: Misbaur Rahman CHOWDHURY
- National Socialist Party / Jatiyo Samajtantrik Dal (JASAD)
- Leader: Hasanul Haq INU
- Workers Party of Bangladesh
- Leader: Rashed Khan MENON
* The Grand Alliance is made up of 14 parties, including the ruling Bangladesh Awami League / বাংলাদেশ আওয়ামী লীগ and the Jatiya Party.
** The National Unity Front is made up of 20 parties, including the Bangladesh Nationalist Party.
*** The Left Democratic Alliance is made up of eight parties, including the Revolutionary Workers Party and the Communist Party of Bangladesh.
**** Jukto Front is made up of Liberal Democratic Party, Krishak Sramik Janata League, and the Islamic Party of Bangladesh.
***** The Islamic Democratic Alliance is made up of 15 parties, including Islami Oikya Jote, Tariqat Federation, and Democratic Islamic Movement. The IDA supports the Grand Alliance.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 166,368,149 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters: 104,142,381 (2018)
- Female Population: 82,507,458 (2018 est.)
- Is Bangladesh a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Bangladesh ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (6 November 1984)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 71
- Human Development Index Position: 136 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
- Is Bangladesh a signatory to CRPD: Yes (9 May 2007)
- Has Bangladesh ratified CRPD: Yes (30 November 2007)
- Population with a disability: 25,343,662 (2018 est.)