At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Peru
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alan GARCIA Pérez
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Rosario Del Pilar FERNANDEZ Figueroa
- Assembly: Peru has a unicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica del Peru) 120 members are elected by open list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Ollanta Moises HUMALA Tasso*
- Alliance: Alianza Gana Peru
- Keiko Sofia FUJIMORI Higuchi**
- Alliance: Fuerza 2011 / Fuerza 2011
* The alliance is made up of Partido Nacionalista Peruano.
** The alliance is made up of Fuerza 2011 and Renovacion Nacional.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 29,759,891 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 19,949,915 (2011)
· Female Population: 14,891,699 (2011)
· Is Peru a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (23 July 1981)
· Has Peru ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 September 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 28 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 84 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Peru a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Peru ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2008)
· Population with a disability: 4,463,983 (est.)