At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Seychelles
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President James MICHEL *
- Head of Government: President James MICHEL
- Assembly: Seychelles has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 34 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale), 25 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 9 members are elected by proportional representation to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- James MICHEL*
- Wavel RAMKALAWAN
- Ralph VOLCERE
- Party: Democratic Party (DP)
- Philippe BOULLE
- Independent(s): N/A
* The Parti Lepep was formerly known as the Seychelles People’s Progressive Front (SPPF),
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 88,340 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 69,480 (2011)
· Female Population: 42,805 (2011)
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Seychelles ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 May 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 64 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Seychelles ratified CRPD: Yes (2 October 2009)
· Population with a disability: 13,251 (est.)