At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Tunisia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Zine El Abidine BEN ALI
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mohamed GHANNOUCHI
- Assembly: Tunisia has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Chamber of Counselors (Majlis al-Mustasharin) with 126 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Majlis Al-Nuwab) with 214 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by a plurality system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Counselors (Majlis al-Mustasharin), 85 members are elected by an electoral college to serve 6-year terms and 41 members are appointed by the President to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Majlis Al-Nuwab), 161 members are elected in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 37 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* Electoral college consists of municipal councilors and members of regional councils. One-half of the upper house is renewed at each election.
** There are 25 multi-member constituencies. Voters vote for lists of candidates. The list with a plurality of votes wins all seats in the constituency. In the proportional tier, there is one nationwide constituency.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Zine El Abidine BEN ALI
- Party: Constitutional Democratic Rally
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,486,339 (July 2009 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,296,008 (2009)
· Female Population: 5,258,871 (2009)
· Is Tunisia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (24 July 1980)
· Has Tunisia ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 September 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 59 (following the 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 96 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Tunisia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Tunisia ratified CRPD: Yes (2 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,572,950 (est.)