At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Colombia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alvaro URIBE Velez
- Head of Government: President Alvaro URIBE Velez
- Assembly: Colombia has a bicameral Congress (Congreso) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 102 seats and the House of Representatives (Camara de Representantes) with 166 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 102 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms. In the House of Representatives (Camara de Representantes) 166 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Alvaro URIBE Vélez
- Party: Colombia First / Primero Colombia
- Carlos GAVIRIA Diaz
- Party: Alternative Democratic Pole / Polo Democrático Alternativo
- Horacio SERPA Uribe
- Party: Colombian Liberal Party / Partido Liberal Colombiano
- Antanas MOCKUS Sivickas
- Party: Indigenous Social Alliance Movement / Movimiento Alianza Social Indígena
- Enrique PAREJO Gonzalez
- Party: National Democratic Reconstruction Movement / Movimiento Reconstruccion Democratica Nacional
- Alvaro LEYVA Duran******
- Party: National Reconciliation Movement / Movimiento Nacional de Reconciliación
- Carlos Arturo RINCON Barreto
- Party: Communal and Communitarian Movement of Colombia / Movimiento Politico Comunal y Comunitario
****** Alvaro LEYVA Duran quit the race on May 14, two weeks before the election.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on May 26, 2002. President Alvaro URIBE Velez received 53.04% of the vote against Horacio SERPA Uribe who obtained 31.72%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 43,593,035 (July 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 26,731,700 (May 2006 )
· Female Population: 22,194,544 (2006)
· Is Colombia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Colombia ratified CEDAW: Yes (19 January 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 14 (House of Representatives); 12 (Senate) (following 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 97 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Colombia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Colombia ratified CRPD: Yes (10 May 2011)
· Population with a disability: 6,575,361 (est.)