At stake in this Referendum:
- An amendment to the Constitution to affirm the rights of the child and allow the State, in exceptional circumstances, to take the place of parents. A new standalone article will be introduced, Article 42A,'Children.'
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Michael D. HIGGINS *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Enda KENNY
- Assembly: Ireland has a bicameral Parliament (Oireachtas) consisting of the Senate (Seanad Éireann) with 60 seats* and the House of Representatives (Dáil Éireann) with 166 seats**.
* The presidential term is renewable once. The electoral system is alternative vote. The President is a member of Parliament ex officio.
* 43 members are elected by five panels representing vocational interests. Six are elected by graduates of two colleges.
** One seat is reserved for the Speaker of the House. There are 43 multi-member districts with magnitudes from 3 to 5.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- The introduction of Article 42A into the Constitution.
- A simple majority vote is required in both referenda for ratification of the agreement.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,670,976 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,183,686 (November 2012 )
· Female Population: 2,300,416 (2012)
· Is Ireland a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Ireland ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (23 December 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 25 (House of Representatives); 18 (Senate) (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 6 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Ireland a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Ireland ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 688,034 (est.)