For the results of the second round of this election, please see here.
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Guinea-Bissau
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Henrique ROSA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Carlos GOMES Junior
- Assembly: Guinea-Bissau has a unicameral National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular) with 100 seats.
* Interim since 28 September 2003; Note - a September 2003 coup overthrew the elected government of Kumba YALA; General Verissimo Correia SEABRA served as interim president from 14 to 28 September 2003.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular) 100 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on November 28, 1999 and January 16, 2000.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,416,027 (July 2005 est.)
- Registered Voters: 538,472 (2005)
· Female Population: 737,330 (2005)
· Is Guinea-Bissau a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guinea-Bissau ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 August 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 178 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Guinea-Bissau a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2013)
· Has Guinea-Bissau ratified CRPD: Yes (24 September 2014)
· Population with a disability: 212,404 (est.)