At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Guatemala
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alfonso Antonion PORTILLO Cabrera
- Head of Government: President Alfonso Antonion PORTILLO Cabrera
- Assembly: Guatemala has a unicameral Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica) with 158 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Congress of the Republic (Congreso de la Republica) 158 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Oscar Jose Rafael BERGER Perdomo
- Alliance: Grand National Alliance (GANA)*
- Alvaro COLOM Caballeros
- Party: National Unity for Hope (UNE)
* GANA consists of the the Partido Patriota, Movimiento Reformador, Partido Solidardidad Nacional.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on November 7, 1999 with a run off held on December 26, 1999. In the second round, Alfonso Antonio PORTILLO Cabrera of the Guatemlan Republican Front (FRG) won the presidency by securing 68% of the votes against Oscar BERGER Perdomo of the National Advancement Party (PAN) who had 32% of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 12,573,346 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 5,073,282 (2003)
· Female Population: 6,436,434 (2003)
· Is Guatemala a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (8 June 1981)
· Has Guatemala ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 August 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2003 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 128 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Guatemala a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Guatemala ratified CRPD: Yes (7 April 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,886,001 (est.)