At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Paraguay
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Luis Angel GONZALEZ MACCHI *
- Head of Government: President Luis Angel GONZALEZ MACCHI
- Assembly: Paraguay has a bicameral Congress (Congreso) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 45 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 80 seats.
* GONZALEZ MACCHI became president when elected president Raul CUBAS Garu was impeached for his involvement in the assassination of Vice President Luis Maria ARGANA.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) 45 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 80 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* Senators are elected in one national constituency.
** The Chamber of deputies is divided into 18 multi member constituencies.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Nicanor DUARTE FRUTOS
- Party: National Republican Association
- Julio César FRANCO
- Party: Authentic Radical Liberal Party
- Pedro FADUL
- Party: Beloved Fatherland Movement
- Guillermo Sánchez GUFFANTI
- Party: National Union of Ethical Citizens
- Other Candidates
Last presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on May 10, 1998.
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 5,607,948 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 2,405,108 (2003)
· Female Population: 2,769,241 (2003)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Paraguay ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (12 January 1995)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 7 (Chamber of Deputies); 4 (Senate) following the 2003 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 112 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Paraguay a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Paraguay ratified CRPD: Yes (3 September 2008)
· Population with a disability: 841,192 (est.)