At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Benin
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mathieu KEREKOU
- Head of Government: President Mathieu KEREKOU
- Assembly: Benin has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 83 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 83 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Mathieu KEREKOU
- Party: Independent Candidate
- Bruni AMOUSSOU
- Party: The Social Democratic Party
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections in Benin were last held on March 18, 1996. Mathieu KEREKOU received 52.49% of the vote, thereby defeating Nicephore SOGLO who received 47.51%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,395,919 (July 2001 est.)
- Registered Voters: 3,152,365
· Female Population: 3,651,123 (2001)
· Is Benin a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (11 November 1981)
· Has Benin ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 March 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (following 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 166 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Benin a signatory to CRPD: Yes (8 February 2008)
· Has Benin ratified CRPD: Yes (5 July 2012)
· Population with a disability: 959,387 (est.)