At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Cape Verde
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Antonio MASCARENHAS Monteiro
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Carlos Alberto Wahnon de Carvalho VEIGA
- Assembly: Cape Verde has a unicameral National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) with 72 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assembleia Nacional) 72 members are elected by popular vote.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Pedro PIRES
- Party: African Party for the Independence of Cape Verde
- Carlos VEIGA
- Party: Movement for Democracy
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on February 18, 1996.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 401,343 (July 2000 est.)
- Registered Voters: 260,275 ( 2002 )
· Female Population: 230,998 (2001)
· Is Cape Verde a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Cape Verde ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (5 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following 2001 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 122 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Cape Verde a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Caper Verde ratified CRPD: Yes (10 October 2011)
· Population with a disability: 67,103 (est.)