At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Uruguay
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Julio Maria SANGUINETTI
- Head of Government: President Hugo FERNANDEZ
- Assembly: Uruguay has a bicameral General Assembly (Asamblea General) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 30 seats and the Chamber of Representatives (Camara de Representantes) with 99 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) 30 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms. In the Chamber of Representatives (Camara de Representantes) 99 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Jorge BATTLE
- Party: Colorado Party
- Tabre VAZQUEZ
- Bloc: Progressive Encounter
Last Presidential election:
- Elections were last held on November 27, 1994. President Sanguinetti received 31.4 % of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,308,523 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,330,154 ( 1994 )
· Female Population: 1,707,128 (1999)
· Is Uruguay a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 March 1981)
· Has Uruguay ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 October 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (Chamber of Representatives); 3 (Senate) following the 1999 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 52 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Uruguay a signatory to CRPD: Yes (3 April 2007)
· Has Uruguay ratified CRPD: Yes (11 February 2009)
· Population with a disability: 496,278 (est.)