At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Djibouti
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hassan GOULED
- Head of Government: Prime Minister BARKAT Gourad Hamadou
- Assembly: Djibouti has a unicameral Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale) with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale) 65 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Ismael Omar Guelleh
- Party: Popular Rally for Progress
- Moussa Ahmed Idriss
- Party: Independent
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election held was May 7, 1993. In the 1993 election, Hassan GOULED Aptidon received 60.76% of the vote and thus defeated Mohamed JAMA Elabe, his closest competitor with 22.03% of the vote.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 710,652 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 171,232 (1999)
· Female Population: 353,194 (1999)
· Is Djibouti a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Djibouti ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (2 December 1998)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0 (following the 1997 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 168 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Djibouti a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Djibouti ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (18 June 2012)
· Population with a disability: 106,597 (est.)