At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Togo
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gnassingbe EYADEMA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kwassi KLUTSE
- Assembly: Togo has a unicameral National Assembly with 81 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly 81 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Gnassingbe EYADEMA
Party: Rally of the Togolese People (RPT)
- Yaovi AGBOYIBO
Party: Action Committee for Renewal (CAR)
- Leopold Messan GNININVI
Party: Democratic Convention of African Peoples (CDPA)
- Gilchrist OLYMPIO
Party: Union of Forces for Change (UFC)
- Zarifou AYEVA
Party: Party for Democracy and Renewal (PDR)
- Jacques AMOUZOU
Party: Union of Independent Liberals
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on August 25, 1993. In this election, Gnassingbe EYADEMA received 96.49% of the vote.
All major opposition parties boycotted the August 1993 election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,624,826 (1998)
- Registered Voters: 2,000,000 ( approx.)
· Female Population: 2,367,051 (1998)
· Is Togo a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Togo ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 September 1983)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1 (following the 1994 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 162 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Togo a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 September 2008)
· Has Togo ratified CRPD: Yes (1 March 2011)
· Population with a disability: 693,723 (est.)